Tuesday 4 November 2014

Recruitment, Training, Route Marches and Farewell

Training

Dearest Mother,

I am writing just to make sure that you and the rest of the family are remaining in good health. Don't fret over those monstrous Germans as our regiment shall lead the front, leading the sound of battle with music. I am currently training on the Clandyboye Estate in Bangor, which is now our new training camp. In my last letter I expressed my wishes to be placed within the Royal Irish Regiment, and am now training with the 13th Battalion within the Royal Irish.Please find enclosed a photo of us on our break from training, again I hope you are keeping well and hope to see you soon, though I cannot promise this as once we get our uniform we will be leaving for the front.Your loving son, James.
Photo of Royal Irish Rifles, 13th Battalion training at Clandyeboye Estate.
Route Marches and Farewell to Ulster

Dear Mother,

It’s my last day today. I’ve got butterflies in my belly but I’m roaring with excitement. I can’t describe how I feel, especially with the crowds that have gathered today at Belfast City Centre. There were hundreds, thousands of people! There were even people sitting on the walls and on the window ledges of the buildings that we marched past, cheering us on. You wouldn’t believe it ma. Me, just a small town boy in the army! It’s mad! The only annoying thing is that they keep calling me John. I don’t know why, but it’s getting a bit annoying. Oh yeah, here’s a picture of the huge crowds at Belfast City. I thought I saw you in the crowd with the family! Ha! The weather is pourin’ down now and my boots are drenched! This must be what they mean when it rains in May. We’ve been ordered to march from Belfast City Centre to Malone. We marched around this huge estate which is just full of fields but all the different regiments are coming together. Our CO tells us to keep our backs straight and our drums kept at our chests. We drummed our souls out! Here’s a picture of us with the all the regiments and some of the generals seeing us off.  I think it’s really patriotic but the drums make me a bit nervous, you know? It’ll be an adventure and maybe I’ll even get to go onto the front lines and march with the army! Can you believe that ma?! I hope the family are doing well and give my love and respect to Da’, Henry and the rest. I hope I have made you proud.
Love James ‘John’ Carson
13th Division leave Clandyeboye for Newtonards station

Belfast City Centre march-past 8th May 1915

36th Division march-past 8th May 1915




No comments:

Post a Comment