Wednesday 5 November 2014

The Trenches

I have a few minutes to myself so I thought I would spend them writing home. We landed in France today; I can’t say it’s the nicest place I’ve seen….but I am real excited to send those Germans back to their Kaiser’s lap in Berlin. Letitia has been worried sick about me in her letters, I sympathise that I can’t be there to comfort her in person. She says that Father is proud of me, I’m glad that I can also take pride with myself too.  I miss the taunting from Sarah, Mary and Rachel, out here; it’s the small things that mean the most. It’s hard to believe it’s near Christmas and even harder to accept that I can’t spend it with my family, especially my dear wife, Mary. Today is fine and there has been a change in weather as it has been very cold and wet lately. But I believe they are having snow in Warrenpoint and I hope it doesn’t come our way as God knows we are bad enough without it. We are likely to take our Christmas dinner in the trenches this year. But we are as contented as well there as any other place. In fact I would rather be in the trenches as the time passes more quickly in them. If all goes well, we should hopefully be back home in the New Year. A few of the boys and I adopted a dog, it’s a good little hound, but it has no place out here.  I’ll see you all when the war is over, I’ll be sure to write as the war goes on.

Lots of love, James.

Banbridge soldiers in the trenches (October-November 1915)

No comments:

Post a Comment